Hive, mail # user - drop table: no err on nonexistant table?

+
Keith Wiley 2012-08-06, 18:06
Re: drop table: no err on nonexistant table?
Keith Wiley 2012-08-06, 18:31
Oye, got it.  Sorry.

RTFM: hive.exec.drop.ignorenonexistent

On Aug 6, 2012, at 11:06 , Keith Wiley wrote:

> I'm wrapping hive in a web tool and would like to do some basic error-checking.  If an attempt is made to drop a table that doesn't exist, I would like to show an error message.  The problem is, hive doesn't seem to produce any sort of error when dropping a table that doesn't exists.  Furthermore, if hive is run on the command line (-e) it doesn't return an error status.  Therefore, I think the only way to detect such an error is to actually inspect the table list (show tables) and manually see if the drop attempt will find a corresponding table.
>
> Can I get an error of some sort on this or is it not possible?
>
> Thank you.

> Keith Wiley     [EMAIL PROTECTED]     keithwiley.com    music.keithwiley.com
>
> "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with
> sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
>                                           --  Galileo Galilei

"And what if we picked the wrong religion?  Every week, we're just making God
madder and madder!"
                                           --  Homer Simpson