HBase, mail # dev - Release Frequency Experiments

Release Frequency Experiments
lars hofhansl 2012-08-31, 05:02
As you may or may not have noticed, for 0.94 I'm playing with a "rapid release train" scheme.
The train stops by every few weeks, when a jira is done it'll board the train and be part of the release, otherwise it simply waits for the next one.

There's a little bit flexibility for important features (especially bug fixes), but I want cut a release every 4-6 weeks or so

(unless the rate of new jiras slows down significantly).

Could even drive the frequency up, but then we'd need to build out extensive automated integration testing.
Comments? Is that something people appreciate, or are fewer, larger releases better to ease the upgrade pain?
(but note that versions of 0.94 are - and will be - compatible with each other, so it is possible to skip releases and upgrade to the current one).

-- Lars