HBase, mail # dev - [DISCUSSION] Sorting out issues for 0.96 for (eventual) release

+
Andrew Purtell 2013-01-08, 17:51
Re: [DISCUSSION] Sorting out issues for 0.96 for (eventual) release
Stack 2013-01-08, 18:21
Thanks for doing the below Andrew.

I was going to write something to try and rally folks around a 0.96
release.  I see loads of work afoot.  I am not sure what percentage can be
judged advancing the 0.96RC cause.

See below.

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 9:51 AM, Andrew Purtell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> There are 118 JIRAs targeting 0.96 specifically. 3 blockers, 10 criticals.

As I see it, closing above is all that stands in the way of our branching.
 I see different numbers to you if I look on this page [1] (I see many more
issues than you count).

A while back after survey [3], here is what we said would be in 0.96 (You
can see the summary when you list 'versions' [2] in JIRA): "....you will
have to start and stop your cluster bringing it up on 0.96.0. 0.96.0 will
require Hadoop 1.0.0 at least. It will be supported on Hadoop 2.0.0 too.
0.96.0 will be all protobufs all the time; all of its serializations to
zookeeper, to the filesystem, and over rpc will be protobufs. It runs on
jdk7. Metrics will be edited and converted to use Hadoop Metrics2. A
preview of HBase Snapshots and PrefixTreeCompression."

Not mentioned but which will be immediately apparent when 0.96 comes up
will be new UI (smile), Jimmy et als AssignmentManager cleanup, Nicolas and
company's MTTR work -- the list is long.

> Snapshots will be merged in soon. PBing RPC and persistence is well along
> but there are 5945, 6521, 7233, 7448 and others due before release could be
> considered. The work is important and as a consequence 0.96 will still need
> a few months to come together.

Yeah, these are significant issues but they are being worked on actively at
the moment.

I wish it wasn't months.  It is not good for the project that so much time
has elapsed between major releases.

> That said, I think we should make up a list of what people want to see in,
> and what could/should be excluded after we find that consensus.

High-level, we have had this discussion IMO ([3]).  Would you like to do it
again Andrew?

Otherwise, I think folks need to bubble up critical issues (or strike them
down) and if any controversial, lets discuss them?
> I wonder if we might be able to start fielding RCs in the second quarter of
> 2013 sometime. I think it will still take some time to bake beyond that. I
> might be able to get some time on a 1000 node testbed, so would expect a
> bunch of issues to fall out of that.

I have a bet with JD on when 0.96 will go out.  Going by the timeline you
sling above, it looks like I am going to lose my bet.

Good on you Andrew,
St.Ack
1.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE/fixforversion/12320040#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Aversion-issues-panel