Hadoop, mail # user - Multiple data centre in Hadoop

Re: Multiple data centre in Hadoop
Robert Evans 2012-04-16, 14:08
Hi Abhishek,

Manu is correct about High Availability within a single colo.  I realize that in some cases you have to have fail over between colos.  I am not aware of any turn key solution for things like that, but generally what you want to do is to run two clusters, one in each colo, either hot/hot or hot/warm, and I have seen both depending on how quickly you need to fail over.  In hot/hot the input data is replicated to both clusters and the same software is run on both.  In this case though you have to be fairly sure that your processing is deterministic, or the results could be slightly different (i.e. No generating if random ids).  In hot/warm the data is replicated from one colo to the other at defined checkpoints.  The data is only processed on one of the grids, but if that colo goes down the other one can take up the processing from where ever the last checkpoint was.

I hope that helps.

--Bobby