Hadoop >> mail # general >> [DISCUSS] Move common, hdfs, mapreduce contrib components to apache-extras.org or elsewhere

Re: [DISCUSS] Move common, hdfs, mapreduce contrib components to apache-extras.org or elsewhere
Tom,

How do these contrib components get released then? If the intent of having
the code is to eventually produce release artifacts that people can use,
then allowing them to further degrade in releasability seems antithetical to
the point of keeping the source around. I think users who download Hadoop
would be surprised to find that tools/projects under contrib do not operate
as advertised.

If the point of retaining the code would be instead to have it as an example
for future developers to reference, then maybe it would be better to move
them into an "attic" or "unmaintaned" directory so it is clear that we do
not expect these to stay up to date. If we do expect them to work, and
believe that they belong in the project, then I think we need to keep them
building -- and yes, that adds to the burden associated with the release of
Hadoop as a whole.

- Aaron