HBase >> mail # dev >> Re: [DISCUSSION] Sorting out issues for 0.96 for (eventual) release

Re: [DISCUSSION] Sorting out issues for 0.96 for (eventual) release
I'm am in general +1 for this scope lock and branching soon.  There
are a whole lot of non-trivial refactors/features that are close to
commit but I think will cause pain as we try to stabilize.  And with
some of the internals changes that are being proposed (new fs layout)
and have been prototyped (removing root, etc) it looks like 0.96 will
be the first singularity.. to be followed by another singularity
called 0.98 (or 2.0)

Can someone summarize where we are at with the RPC currently?  The KV
stuff is to make sure we don't regress from core get/put perf
characteristics of 0.94 right?

Snapshot work is currently bogged down trying to get tests to pass on
a snapshot+trunk merge (see HBASE-7290 for issues). :(.  Once I get a
clean run there I plan on formally posting the branch for review and
doing the real cluster testing on the merge snapshot+trunk branch
instead of just the snapshot branch.  On this front, we've got the
failures categorized and at the moment have hacks (some unacceptable,
but pointing towards root cause) to fix all but one of these failures.

Jon.

--
// Jonathan Hsieh (shay)
// Software Engineer, Cloudera