Hadoop >> mail # general >> Discussions - Re: [VOTE] Release candidate 0.20.203.0-rc0

+
Ian Holsman 2011-05-02, 19:15
+
Eric Baldeschwieler 2011-05-02, 20:05
Re: Discussions - Re: [VOTE] Release candidate 0.20.203.0-rc0
On 05/02/2011 01:05 PM, Eric Baldeschwieler wrote:
> As previously discussed, all parties are welcome to champion
> altenative releases from Apache if they want to invest in making
> Apache Hadoop better.

I do not believe that different organizations should release their own
versions of Hadoop posing as Apache releases.  If folks wish to release
their own versions, then they should call them something else and
release them themselves.  The Apache Hadoop project should create
releases collaboratively, through an open process.  The standard means
is to start a branch from trunk or a prior release and propose patches
to that branch, one-by-one.  This candidate diverged sufficiently from
this pattern that, for me, it doesn't qualify as a community release.

Cheers,

Doug
+
James Seigel 2011-05-02, 20:59