HBase, mail # dev - [DISCUSS] Namespace Delimiter

+
Francis Liu 2013-05-07, 23:38
+
Jonathan Hsieh 2013-05-07, 23:43
+
Ian Varley 2013-05-07, 23:49
+
Francis Liu 2013-05-08, 00:22
+
Stack 2013-05-08, 06:36
Re: [DISCUSS] Namespace Delimiter
James Taylor 2013-05-08, 06:55
Phoenix uses  <schema name> . <table name> to reference tables, so
allowing a "." in names would make parsing ambiguous.

     James

On 05/07/2013 11:36 PM, Stack wrote:
> On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Francis Liu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> One thing I had in mind was to automatically assume that the first dot
>> delimits the namespace name. During upgrade we automatically create those
>> namespaces and assign the tables accordingly. They can then eventually
>> migrate/rename their tables (if needed) at a later time. In the extreme
>> case that would be one namespace per table. For which we will provide a
>> tool to rename offline tables.
>>
>> I'm guessing most cases would not require a rename. What else do people
>> use dots in their table name for?
>>

> With namespaces in place, will '.' be illegal in a table name?
>
> With namespaces, is there a no-namespace/default location?  If so, what
> will it be called or how will you refer to tables in the
> no-namespace/default namespace?
>
> I just took a user's production website where there are hundreds of tables.
>   For no good reason that I can see, they happened to have choosen '_' and
> '-' as table name partitioner: i.e. application_feature, etc.  My sense is
> they could just as easily have gone with '.' but maybe the '.META.' name
> frightens people away from '.'?
>
> Anyone using '.' in their table names?
>
> St.Ack
+