Pig >> mail # user >> Get ResourceSchema during putNext in StoreFunc

Re: Get ResourceSchema during putNext in StoreFunc
So I don't get null when I read the schema in the checkSchema method. I
set the class's internal schema variable, as in your gist, and it's not
null in the very next call to 'setStoreLocation'. However, it is null on
all later calls to 'setStoreLocation' and any and all calls to putNext.
Not entirely sure when it goes out of scope.

Now, if this was vanilla map-reduce I'd say that checkSchema is being
called once during the initial map-reduce job setup phase and anything
you do in there is not going to be accessible to your later tasks which
are happening on many different machines in the cluster.

You could set the schema with checkSchema and then on the FIRST call to
setStoreLocation you could place the schema in the job's configuration
as a string. What I'm not sure about is exactly how many times
setStoreLocation is actually called. I suspect (any Pig devs wanna help
me out here?) that it's called exactly once per task (ie. during the
call to 'setup()' in vanilla map-reduce land). If that's true then all
you'd have to do is set it the first time then read it on all subsequent
calls to setStoreLocation. Could try it out at least...

--jacob
@thedatachef