MapReduce >> mail # user >> Hadoop counter

Re: Hadoop counter

On Oct 19, 2012, at 11:27 AM, Lin Ma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> Thanks for the detailed reply. Two quick questions/comments,
>
> 1. For "task", you mean a specific mapper instance, or a specific reducer instance?

Either.

> 2. "However, I do not believe that a separate Task could connect with the JT and see if the counter exists or if it could get a value or even an accurate value since the updates are asynchronous." -- do you mean if a mapper is updating custom counter ABC, and another mapper is updating the same customer counter ABC, their counter values are updated independently by different mappers, and will not published (aggregated) externally until job completed successfully?

I meant that if a Task created and updated a counter, a different Task has access to that counter.

To give you an example, if I want to count the number of quality errors and then fail after X number of errors, I can't use Global counters to do this.