HBase, mail # user - hbase lookups in file, source location

hbase lookups in file, source location
S Ahmed 2012-06-06, 14:35
>From what I understand each column family has its own file(s).

When hbase lookups a cell in a column family, how does it perform the
lookup? Is there an index on the file, or is it ordered?
What algorithm is used?
Does it load the entire column family file in memory, or scan it?

I know the actual rows are ordered lexically, is it the same for column
family qualifiers?

If someone could also point me to the relevant files that would be great.