HBase >> mail # user >> The write process in the Region Server

The write process in the Region Server
Hi all,

I'm trying to better understand what's going on in the region server during
write to HBase.

As I understand the process:

1. Data is written to memstore.
2. Once the memstore has reached hbase.hregion.memstore.flush.size ->
memstore executes flush and writes a new StoreFile.
3. The number of StoreFiles increases until a compaction is triggered.

To my understanding, the compaction is triggered after a compaction check
is done by either CheckCompaction thread running in the background or by
the flush memstore executed.
The compaction triggered will be a minor compaction BUT it could promote to
major if it includes all store files.
When will it NOT include all store files ? say I set compactionThreshld to
3, then when the 3rd (or 4th) flush is executed, a compaction wiil be
triggered and will promote to major since it includes all store files.

Is this right ? can anyone elaborate ?