HBase >> mail # dev >> RE: Wondering what hbck should do in this situation

+
Ramkrishna.S.Vasudevan 2012-07-19, 04:56
+
Jean-Daniel Cryans 2012-07-18, 15:53
+
Ramkrishna.S.Vasudevan 2012-07-19, 04:51
+
Ted Yu 2012-07-18, 17:17
+
Jean-Daniel Cryans 2012-07-19, 17:50
+
Jonathan Hsieh 2012-07-19, 17:55
Re: Wondering what hbck should do in this situation
HBASE-5324 is the one I filed on interactive hbck.  We can use it if
there is no duplicate one.

Thanks,
Jmmy

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Jonathan Hsieh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Jimmy and I have been adding features essentially as we've needed them,
> including some options that limit fixes to particular tables, and limit the
> kinds of fixes that are applied.
>
> There is a jira for making the repairs interactive -- either a hbck shell,
> an interactive mode that provides a series of y/n questions.  I'd be
> amenable to any of these kinds of improvements.
>
> Jon.
>
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Jean-Daniel Cryans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 9:56 PM, Ramkrishna.S.Vasudevan
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > J-d
>> > Corrections, if META does not have an entry then we cannot know if it is
>> > splitted or not.. Apologies for that.
>> >
>> > I think we need to check for Reference files and if the opening fails we
>> > need to report it.  That should be the way.
>> > But we should also confirm whether this region was split properly, right?
>>
>> That's what I'm wondering about. It seems to me that hbck currently is
>> overly aggressive fixing things (see also HBASE-6417 where it merged
>> .META.). So should we have all the heuristics to detect problems and
>> then add the corner cases after as people find them? Or should we let
>> the users decide what should be fixed? It could be that we should ask
>> more questions to the users. I'm thinking out loud here.
>>
>> J-D
>>

> --
> // Jonathan Hsieh (shay)
> // Software Engineer, Cloudera