Hadoop >> mail # general >> HDFS-1623 branching strategy

Re: HDFS-1623 branching strategy
Sanjay,

1. I don't see any comments in HDFS-1623 since may 26.
And I don't see any updates to the design document.
While HA jiras are being committed directly to trunk.
And I personally don't like what is being committed.
Possible because I don't understand the approach.

2. Whatever the branching strategy is, the branch should be created
and the work should be done in the branch.
Please call a vote to create the branch whoever is working on it.
I don't see anybody is opposing. My +1 in advance.

3. CTR or RTC I am seriously considering to revert HDFS-2141 because
it is changing the terminology used in several design documents ans
publications,
which people got used to, and which will create more confusion.

4. Sanjay's and Suresh's document is a great strategic design for HA.
Although I do not think you can use it to implement a single approach.
As it has a lot of different choices , which make the strategy great, but
need to be resolved for practical purposes.
An implementation requires (so to speak) a tactical design doc, which
clarifies the choices taken for the implementation.
I made an attempt to resolve the choices in HDFS-2064, but you seem to
disagree with them, although I don't know which ones.

I don't think any changes should go to trunk (or the branch) without such a
document.

Thanks,
--Konstantin