HBase >> mail # user >> hbase schema design

hbase schema design
Howdy all,

I'm trying to use hbase for the first time (plenty of other experience with
RDBMS database though), and I have a couple of questions after reading The
Book.

I am a bit confused by the advice to reduce "the row size" in the hbase
book. It states that every cell value is accomplished by the coordinates
(row, column and timestamp). I'm just trying to be thorough, so am I to
understand that the rowkey is stored and/ or read for every cell value in a
record or just once per column family in a record?

I am intrigued by the rows as columns design as described in the book at
http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#rowkey.design. To make a long story
short, I will end up with a table to store event types and number of
occurrences in each day. I would prefer to have the event description as
the row key and the dates when it happened as columns - up to 7300 for
roughly 20 years.
However, the event description is a string of 0.1 to 2Kb and if it is
stored for each cell value, I will need to use a surrogate (shorter) value.

Is there a built-in functionality to generate (integer) surrogate values in
hbase that can be used on the rowkey or does it need to be hand code it
from scratch?