Hadoop, mail # general - Release compatibility was Re: [VOTE] Release candidate 0.20.203.0-rc1

Re: Release compatibility was Re: [VOTE] Release candidate 0.20.203.0-rc1
Sanjay Radia 2011-05-11, 22:12

On May 10, 2011, at 10:49 PM, Aaron T. Myers wrote:

> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 10:24 PM, Devaraj Das <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:

> By far the most significant incompatibility that I've seen from a user
> perspective is that setting hadoop.job.ugi no longer has any effect.
> Granted, this interface wasn't used by a large percentage of users,
> but
> those that were using it have no other alternative that is as
> flexible as
> this was. There was discussion about this incompatibility last
> September on
> the mailing lists[1]. The conclusion there was that supporting
> backward
> compatibility for this interface was too difficult, semantically and
> technically, to warrant support. This incompatibility is present
> whether or
> not Kerberos support is enabled on the cluster.
That I why we added the interface audience and stability classification.
 From the very beginning (see my early proposals on HADOOP-5073) the
security UGI
interfaces were targeted to be marked as limited private.
We completed the interface annotation in release 21, so some users did
not realize that they should not
be using such interfaces.

sanjay