Avro >> mail # user >> any movement on JSON encoding for RPC?

any movement on JSON encoding for RPC?
I found a message from last year that JSON encoding for RPC was not yet implemented. Is this still the case? If so, this would be very bad as one of the selling points we were using is that Avro serialized its messages in JSON format.

Brian