Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Hadoop native builds fail on ARM due to -m32

Re: Hadoop native builds fail on ARM due to -m32
On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 7:34 PM, Allen Wittenauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>        That's interesting.  I didn't realize there was a gcc that didn't support -m.  This seems like an odd thing not to support, but whatever. :)

Agreed. I'm sure ARM will support 64-bit someday, so the "right" fix
would be to change gcc to make -m32 a no-op for ARM and other
32-bit-only targets, but I'm assuming that approach would be...
onerous. ;-)

>        I've got a homegrown patch that basically removes a lot of the GNU-ness from the configure to support Sun's compiler, but I don't think I had to remove -m.... so even that won't help you.

That sounds valuable, but I take homegrown to mean not suitable for
general inclusion? My patch is not nearly so ambitious.

>        Yes, please file a JIRA in HADOOP and attach the patch.

Done: HADOOP-7276. I linked it to your GNU-ness issue (though I'm
guessing JIRA probably told you that already).

FYI, I just noticed that Hadoop "one button cluster install" is a goal
for the Ubuntu ARM Server release for 11.10
(https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-o-arm-server/),
so expect a few more patches. ;-)

-Trevor