Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Hadoop 2.0 - org.apache.hadoop.fs.Hdfs vs. DistributedFileSystem?

+
Stephen Watt 2013-06-18, 18:15
Re: Hadoop 2.0 - org.apache.hadoop.fs.Hdfs vs. DistributedFileSystem?
Hey Steve,

That's correct, see HADOOP-6223 for the history.  However, per Andrew
I don't think it's realistic to expect people to migrate off
FileSystem for a while (I filed HADOOP-6446 well over three years
ago).

The unfortunate consequence of the earlier decision to have parallel
interfaces rather than transition one over time means people
effectively need to end up implementing multiple backends - one that
gets used by clients of FileSystem, and one for clients of
FileContext.  Implementing in only one place significantly limits
adoption of the feature or file system because they can't be
effectively adopted in practice unless they're available to old and
new clients  (for example, this is why symlinks are getting backported
to FileSystem from FileContext).

Thanks,
Eli