Hadoop >> mail # user >> Re: disk used percentage is not symmetric on datanodes (balancer)

On Mar 19, 2013, at 5:00 AM, Алексей Бабутин <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> node A=12TB
> node B=72TB
> How many A nodes  and B from 200 do you have?

We have more number of A nodes than B. The ratio of the number is about 80, 20. Note that not all the B nodes are 72TB, that's a max value. Similarly for A it is a min. value.

> If you have more B than A you can deactivate A,clear it and apply again.

Apply what ? It may not be a choice for an active system and it may cripple us for days.

> I suppose that cluster about 3-5 Tb.Run balancer with threshold 0.2 or 0.1.

You meant 3.5 PB, then you are about right.  What this threshold does exactly ? We are not setting the threshold manually, but isn't hadoop's default 0.1 ?

> Different servers in one rack is bad idea.You should rebuild cluster with multiple racks.

Why bad idea ? We are using hadoop as a file system not as a scheduler. How multiple racks are going to help in balancing the disk-usage across datanodes ?

-Tapas