Pig >> mail # user >> MiniCluster

I see MiniCluster.java in the pig source code and want to do something similar in my own tests.... tried just coping that class but it's failing with "Can't assign requested address" trying to assign 127.0.0.1:0.

Is there something else I need to be able to test my pig scripts in MR mode?  Do I need hadoop installed and environment variables?