Flume, mail # user - flume-cassandra

Re: flume-cassandra
Ralph Goers 2013-01-29, 19:24
We ended up writing our own custom sink for Cassandra so that we could customize the fields, write to Cassandra indexes and multiple column families.  We primarily use Cassandra to store log records and we insure they can't be duplicated by generating a guid in the Appender that writes to Flume (via Avro).  The guid is then used as the row key.

What do you mean by separation?

We use Log4j 2's Flume Appender with the RFC5424Layout and StructuredDataMessages (see EventLogger).  All the individual items in the StructuredDataMessage and in the ThreadContextMap (i.e. MDC) are added to the FlumeEvent data map.  The Cassandra Sink then writes these to individual columns in Cassandra.  The Cassandra Sink also writes these items to the appropriate indexes so that we can perform whatever queries that perform well.  The ipAddress is definitely one of the items we are interested in and capture in our indexes.

Ralph