HBase, mail # user - Efficient way to read a large number of files in S3 and upload their content to HBase

Re: Efficient way to read a large number of files in S3 and upload their content to HBase
Marcos Ortiz 2012-05-24, 22:33

On 05/24/2012 05:12 PM, Ian Varley wrote:
> This is a question I see coming up a lot. Put differently: what characteristics make it useful to use HBase on top of HDFS, as opposed to just flat files in HDFS directly? "Quantity" isn't really an answer, b/c HDFS does fine with quantity (better, even).
>
> The basic answers are that HBase is good if:
>
> a) You want to be able to read random small bits of data in the middle of (large) HDFS files with low latency (i.e. without loading the whole thing from disk)
Yes.
> b) You want to be able to modify (insert) random small bits of data in the middle of (immutable, sorted) HDFS files without writing the whole thing out again each time.
and Yes again.

> If all you want is a way to quickly store a lot of data, it's hard to beat writing to flat files (only /dev/null/ is faster, but it doesn't support sharding). :) But if you want to then be able to do either (a) or (b) above, that's where you start looking at HBase. I assume in your case, you need sub-second access to single records (or ranges of records) anywhere in the set?
We want to use HBase because we think that's perfect for our requirements.

> Ian
>
> On May 24, 2012, at 1:53 PM, Marcos Ortiz wrote:
>

>> On 05/24/2012 04:47 PM, Amandeep Khurana wrote:
>>> Thanks for that description. I'm not entirely sure why you want to use
>>> HBase here. You've got logs coming that you want to process in batch
>>> to do calculations on. This can be done by running MR jobs on the flat
>>> files itself. You could use Java MR, Hive or Pig to accomplish this.
>>> Why do you want HBase here?
>> Tha main reason to use HBase is for the quantity of rows involved in the
>> process. It could provide a efficient and "quick" way to store all this.
>> Hive can be an option too.
>>
>> I will discuss all this again with the dev team.
>> Thanks a lot for your answers.
>>> -ak

Marcos Luis Ort�z Valmaseda
  Data Engineer&&  Sr. System Administrator at UCI
  http://marcosluis2186.posterous.com
  http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcosluis2186
  Twitter: @marcosluis2186

http://www.uci.cu