HBase >> mail # user >> What happens when you add new HBase nodes to a cluster?

Re: What happens when you add new HBase nodes to a cluster?
Yes, the if the balancer is enabled (balance_switch true), hbase will
automatically balance the tables across the new pool of region servers.  At
this point your locality will be shot for those regions that have moved, so
I recommend running major compactions.  If your total number of regions is
not divisible by your number of regionservers than some regionservers will
have more regions than others, but it should be pretty even.