Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Re: Heads up - 2.0.5-beta

Re: Heads up - 2.0.5-beta
Thanks for starting this discussion. I volunteer to do a final review of
protocol changes, so we can avoid incompatible changes to API and wire
protocol post 2.0.5 in Common and HDFS.

We have been working really hard on the following features. I would like to
get into 2.x and see it reach HDFS users:
# Snapshots
# NFS gateway for HDFS
# HDFS-347 unix domain socket based short circuits
# Windows support

Other HDFS folks please let me know if I missed anything.

To ensure a timely release of 2.0.5-beta, we should not hold back for
individual features. However, I would like to make necessary API and/or
protocol changes right-away. This will allow us to adding  features in
subsequent releases e.g. hadoop-2.2 or hadoop-2.3 etc without breaking
compatibility. For e.g. even if we don't complete NFS support, making
FileID related changes in 2.0.5-beta will ensure future compatbility.

Regards,
Suresh

--
http://hortonworks.com/download/