Hadoop >> mail # user >> is there any way to set the niceness of map/reduce jobs

Re: is there any way to set the niceness of map/reduce jobs
nice(1) only changes cpu scheduling priority. It doesn't really help
if you have tasks (and their child processes) that use too much
memory, which causes swapping, which is probably the real culprit to
cause servers to freeze. Decreasing kernel swappiness probably helps.
Another thing to try is ionice (on linux if you have reasonably recent
kernel with cfq as io scheduler, default for rhel5) if the freeze is
caused by io contention (assuming no swapping.)

You can write a simple script to periodically renice(1) and ionice(1)
these processes to see if they actually work for you.