From: "Liyifan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 9:47:37 PM
Subject: A question about HiveStatement.executeUpdate's exception
Hi, all. I'm new to Hive, I have a question about executeUpdate.

I executed a SQL by invoking HiveStatement.executeUpdate method. I found that it throws an "Method not supported" exception.

And I checked the code in hive-0.9\jdbc\src\java\org\apache\hadoop\hive\jdbc\HiveStatement.java, I found that the "Method not supported" is always threw unless client.execute(sql) throws an exceptioin.

I'm confused about it, why executeUpdate always throws an exeption?

public int executeUpdate(String sql) throws SQLException {
try {
client.execute(sql);
} catch (Exception ex) {
throw new SQLException(ex.toString());
}
throw new SQLException("Method not supported");
}