MapReduce >> mail # user >> What resources are used by idle NameNode and JobTracker tasks

What resources are used by idle NameNode and JobTracker tasks
I have Hadoop running on 8 nodes in a 50 node cluster. The NameNode and
Jobtrackers have been running for months while jobs were run occasionally -
usually no more than a dozen a week and more typically none. Recently the
cluster manager accused Hadoop of consuming a large number of resources in
the cluster - this occurred during a week an which I was running no jobs.
While I stopped Hadoop  the trackers have been running for many months
stably.
  Is there any reason why either of these jobs should suddenly and without
jobs being run increase their consumption of resources in a serious way??
--
Steven M. Lewis PhD
4221 105th Ave NE