HBase, mail # user - Scanner timeout -- any reason not to raise?

Scanner timeout -- any reason not to raise?
Dan Crosta 2013-03-17, 18:46
We occasionally get scanner timeout errors such as "66698ms passed since the last invocation, timeout is currently set to 60000" when iterating a scanner through the Thrift API. Is there any reason not to raise the timeout to something larger than the default 60s? Put another way, what resources (and how much of them) does a scanner take up on a thrift server or region server?

Also, to confirm -- I believe "hbase.rpc.timeout" is the setting in question here, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,
- Dan