Zookeeper, mail # dev - Re: Timeouts and ping handling

+
Camille Fournier 2012-01-18, 22:03
+
Patrick Hunt 2012-01-18, 22:45
Re: Timeouts and ping handling
Camille Fournier 2012-01-18, 23:21
Duh, I knew there was something I was forgetting. You can't process the
session timeout faster than the server can process the full pipeline, so
making pings come back faster just means you will have a false sense of
liveness for your services.

The question about why the leaders and followers handle read-only requests
differently still stands, though.

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 5:45 PM, Patrick Hunt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 2:03 PM, Camille Fournier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > I think it can be done. Looking through the code, it seems like it should
> > be safe modulo some stats that are set in the FinalRequestProcessor that
> > may be less useful.
> >

> Turning around HBs at the head end of the server is a bad idea. If the
> server can't support the timeout you requested then you are setting
> yourself up for trouble if you try to fake it. (think through some of
> the failure cases...)
>
> This is not something you want to do. Rather first look at some of the
> more obvious issues such as GC, then disk (I've seen ppl go to
> ramdisks in some cases), then OS/net tuning etc....
>
> Patrick

+
Patrick Hunt 2012-01-19, 01:38