HBase, mail # dev - Re: Introduce GC tuning profiles

Re: Introduce GC tuning profiles
Lars George 2012-07-04, 07:36
Hi Laxman,

Personally I have not seen many variations - if at all - based on cluster size, apart from the heap settings. What are you proposing should be different for each profile?

Lars

On Jul 4, 2012, at 9:15, Laxman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Devs,
>
> How about introducing multiple GC tuning profiles (like STANDALONE, SMALL,
> MEDIUM, LARGE ...) in HBase itself?
> Profiles can be categorized based on cluster size, usage, resources
> available (Memory, CPU).
>
> Why tuning profiles?
> -> Its tedious & error-prone to find, edit some parameter in script file.
> -> While editing manually and I'm sure we miss one or the other parameters
> in some cluster machine.
> -> These profiles boosts the user's confidence rather tune himself by trial
> and error for each parameter.
>

> I know I will get the following immediate answers. :-)
> -> it's the responsibility of user to tune GC
> -> it depends on usage
> -> it depends on environment (machine resources available)
> -> we do provide recommendations in hbase book
> -> there are so many resources over web about tuning. Why don't you refer to
> that?
> -> so on...
>
> I humbly accept all the above reasons but still I wanted to put forward the
> idea of tuning profiles and get your opinion.
> --
> Regards,
> Laxman

+