Hive >> mail # dev >> How long will we support Hadoop 0.20.2?

Re: How long will we support Hadoop 0.20.2?
>From where I sit, the claim that Horton works tests releases on windows in
unverifiable. No one has officially "signed up" to test every release on
windows. Thus I do not have to "sign up" to ensure we have continued hadoop
0.20.2 support.

More to the point much more there was a huge effort to support hadoop 1.0
and hadoop 2.0 isms. I think we have added "ORDER BY" to every unit test
hive runs, because results that used to be deterministic in 0.20.2 no
longer are in newer versions. This was a bad "solution", it just results in
unit tests taking longer because they require an extra reduce phase to
order unnecessarily. It also demonstrates that no one was able to hit the
moving target (hadoop-core) and how developing on hadoop 0.20.2 might be
considered "easier".

Yes, I understand hadoop 0.20.X is old, but how old is the next viable
release? I'm not even sure what you would consider the next viable release.
If you consider this:

27 December, 2011: release 1.0.0 available

 Hadoop reaches 1.0.0! Full information about this milestone release is
available

that paints the picture differently.

That rant being done, we can not and should not support hadoop 0.20.2
forever. Discontinuing hadoop 0.20.2 in say 6 months might be reasonable,
but I think dropping it on the floor due to a one line change for a missing
convenience constructor is a bit knee-jerk.