Kafka >> mail # dev >> topic names again

+
Jun Rao 2012-09-25, 16:16
+
Jay Kreps 2012-09-25, 16:20
Re: topic names again
+1 to restrict topic names to ASCII alpha-numeric characters (plus _ and -) in 0.8

I think a compelling case has to be made ( with some real world use cases ) to change this rule if adopted.
On Sep 25, 2012, at 12:16 PM, Jun Rao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> There are a few issues related to topic names. First, we have some topic
> specific metrics and jmx bean name has certain restrictions (e.g., no space
> allowed and maybe others). Second, in 0.8, we have a file that stores high
> watermarks. It's a simple text file and expects 1 line per topic/partition.
> If topic name has '\r' or '\n', it could mess up the format of the file. A
> simple solution is to restrict topic names to ASCII alpha-numeric
> characters (plus _ and -) in 0.8. We can try to relax it in the future.
> Anybody has concerns with this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jun
+