As a direct Apache software product consumer and sometimes contributor, I
also experienced firsthand the pain of the project splits. It was not
possible to build an installable release. It may have been many days or
weeks before that was cured by a re-merge. I gave up after burning too many
hours on it, went back to the 1.0 code base, and came back only after the
damage was repaired.

It's also frustrating to hear, even if just one person's proposal, that we
have spent months preparing to stabilize our next production deployment
based on the 2.0 branch, with the expectation that it will be the new
stable, but now maybe 0.23 will be the new stable. 0.23 is quite backwards
in comparison and missing all of the critical HA HDFS work.

This thread seems to be becoming a competition for which is the more
radical proposal to snatch defeat from the jaws of success.

These proposals seem to be made with a total lack of care for the end user.

>From my point of view, things were going reasonably well until suddenly
there is this sudden turn into lunacy. I am positive this kind of
"foundation" / PMC / project / administrivia tinkering is what will
fragment or disband the Hadoop community of users and contributors, not
disagreements between committers. A Hadoop competitor couldn't be happer.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)