Accumulo >> mail # dev >> Setting Charset in getBytes() call.

+
David Medinets 2012-10-28, 21:50
+
Ed Kohlwey 2012-10-28, 22:18
+
William Slacum 2012-10-29, 15:39
+
David Medinets 2012-10-29, 16:00
+
Josh Elser 2012-10-29, 16:21
+
Benson Margulies 2012-10-29, 16:24
+
John Vines 2012-10-29, 16:42
+
Josh Elser 2012-10-29, 16:57
+
David Medinets 2012-10-29, 17:00
+
William Slacum 2012-10-29, 17:13
+
Mike Drob 2012-10-29, 17:16
+
Michael Flester 2012-10-29, 19:14
Re: Setting Charset in getBytes() call.
So perhaps we should have ISO-8859-1 as the standard. Mike- do you see any
reason to use something beside ISO-8859-1 for the encodings?

John

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Michael Flester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > UTF-8 should always be present (according to the JLS), and as a
> multi-byte
> > format should be able to encode any character that you would need to.
> >

> UTF-8 cannot encode arbitrary data. All data that we store in accumulo
> is not characters. A safe encoding to use as a pass through when you
> don't know if you are dealing with characters is ISO-8859-1 since we know
> that we can make the round trip from bytes to string to bytes without loss.

+
Benson Margulies 2012-10-29, 20:02
+
David Medinets 2012-10-29, 20:29