HBase, mail # dev - HBase table truncate

+
Matteo Bertozzi 2013-04-10, 13:52
+
Ted Yu 2013-04-10, 14:01
+
Jean-Marc Spaggiari 2013-04-10, 14:04
Re: HBase table truncate
Doug Meil 2013-04-10, 17:27

re:  "truncate is supposed to be more like a "delete_all","

In an RDBMS an "truncate" doesn't do "delete all", it actually whacks the
underlying files to clear the table (or a particular partition, if you
happen to have an RDBMS that supports partitioning).

I think that HBase's implementation of truncate is similar to what folks
expect out of an RDBMS - which is good.
On 4/10/13 10:04 AM, "Jean-Marc Spaggiari" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Please also include truncate_preserve ...
>
>2013/4/10 Ted Yu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>> bq. should truncate be promoted to a master call to have its own ACL
>>check?
>>
>> I that makes sense.
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 6:52 AM, Matteo Bertozzi <
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > Hey,
>> >
>> > truncate currently is just an hbase shell command
>> > and it basically deletes the table and creates a new one.
>> >
>> > using ACLs the user running truncate, must have rights to create a
>>table.
>> > (currently only "global granted" users can create tables)
>> >
>> > truncate is supposed to be more like a "delete_all",
>> > requiring just the ability to delete all the rows in the table.
>> >
>> > should truncate be promoted to a master call to have its own ACL
>>check?

+
Matteo Bertozzi 2013-04-10, 17:35
+