Pig, mail # dev - A major addition to Pig. Working with spatial data

+
Ahmed Eldawy 2013-05-02, 00:40
+
Alan Gates 2013-05-02, 00:50
+
Ahmed Eldawy 2013-05-02, 01:08
+
Alan Gates 2013-05-02, 17:33
+
Ahmed Eldawy 2013-05-02, 18:59
+
Daniel Dai 2013-05-03, 23:09
+
Russell Jurney 2013-05-04, 09:14
Re: A major addition to Pig. Working with spatial data
Jonathan Coveney 2013-05-04, 21:47
I agree that this is cool, and if other projects are using JTS it is worth
talking them to see how. I also agree that licensing is very frustrating.

In the short term, however, while it is annoying to have to manage the
serialization and deserialization yourself, you can have the geometry type
be passed around as a bytearray type. Your UDF's will have to know this and
treat it accordingly, but if you did this then all of the tools could be in
an external project on github instead of a branch in Pig. Then, if we can
get the licensing done, we could add the Geometry type to Pig. Adding
types, honestly, is kind of tedious but not super difficult, so once the
rest is done, that shouldn't be too difficult.

+
Ahmed Eldawy 2013-05-05, 23:44
+
Jonathan Coveney 2013-05-06, 14:53