MapReduce >> mail # user >> XML parsing in Hadoop

Re: XML parsing in Hadoop
Hello Chhaya,

I'm not sure why the job launches 4 map tasks, since your input file's size is 2MB, which is less than 1 HDFS block (64MB by default) - I would expect to initialize only 1 mapper, unless you have changed the default HDFS block size value.

As I see in the code, you use TextInputFormat.class to read your input file. This means that your map function will be executed once per line of your input. However, inside your map function you still read all the input split:
FileSplit fileSplit = (FileSplit)context.getInputSplit();
This means that if you have many lines in your input (I guess you do), you read multiple time the same input split, which I suspect is wrong?
Moreover, you might want to revise the line
if ( colvalue.toString().equalsIgnoreCase(null) ) .
Do you mean
if ( colvalue==null) ?

I think it would be helpful to read once more the MapReduce programming model, in order to better understand when each map & reduce function is executed and how. You can use this link  http://developer.yahoo.com/hadoop/tutorial/module4.html , or the official Apache Hadoop website.
This will help you fit your algorithm in the MapReduce paradigm more easily. If you need further clarifications, I would be happy to help!

Regards,
Sofia

2mB file