Hadoop >> mail # user >> Which hadoop version shoul I install in a production environment

Which hadoop version shoul I install in a production environment
Hi guys,
I am sorry to bother you, but I have a cluster already configured and running
with the following packages (cdh3):
hadoop-0.20.noarch      0.20.2+923.256-1
hadoop-hbase.noarch     0.90.6+84.29-1
hadoop-zookeeper.noarch 3.3.5+19.1-1

I having trouble with HBase regionserver that crashes (2-3 nodes per day) in
an 8 nodes cluster. I thought it was the GC problem, but I did the fix and they
still crash.

I was wondering if updating the whole system (hadoop + hbase + zookeeperr + mapred)
would fix my problems. Besides there are a lot of fixes and features implemented
since 0.20.

Searching around I found all the different versions realeased and opted by the
0.23-cdh4. Applied this new version to an old cdh3 dev environment 2 months ago.
Started doing other stuff and came back to finally try it into production.
Unfortunately, cdh4 is moved to 2.0 and I could not find the 0.23 packages
anymore. Besides, the 2.0 realease is in alpha version and thus not ready to
production.
Even worse, there is no 0.23 release in hadoop site:
http://hadoop.apache.org/common/releases.html

I read a few links, such as:
http://www.cloudera.com/blog/2012/01/an-update-on-apache-hadoop-1-0/
http://www.dbms2.com/2012/06/19/distributions-cdh-4-hdp-1-hadoop-2-0/
and could not reach to a conclusion for a very simple question:
Which is the latest stable hadoop version to install in a production
environment with package manager support?

Do you guys suggest any other manager than cdh?

Sorry for the bad english and thanks for the help ;)

Abs,
Pablo