Hive >> mail # user >> Adding jar files when running hive in hwi mode or hiveserver mode

Re: Adding jar files when running hive in hwi mode or hiveserver mode
Having played around with hive cli/hiveserver/hwi for a few weeks I think I
understand the various pieces better now. Can people provide some real world
scenarios where they use the different "modes?"

As far as UI and more importantly making hive accessible to users that are
not super familiar with SQL goes, it seems to me like hive JDBC might be the
best option since that way hive can be relatively seamlessly integrated with
many sophisticated reporting tools. I haven't explored that option much yet.

Hive cli was good enough for me to play around with the framework and I can
keep using it for real work. However, having a simple GUI like hwi is better
for many reasons but I don't think it can ever be a replacement for all the
available reporting tools.

So, I guess I'm kind of conflicted at this point :) My ultimate goal is to
put the power of hadoop and hive into the hands of non-technical (business)
users. At first I thought I could probably build a simple UI (which is a
bunch of php files really) using the php thrift API but that API did not
seem suited for short lived web applications without some sort of
sophisticated session management.

Any thoughts/ideas are greatly appreciated.