Pig >> mail # user >> Changing the schema before Storing

Re: Changing the schema before Storing
On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 8:04 AM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello Bill,
>
> The bug didn't block me or waste any time. Regarding the cast, I can't
> regenerate the bug right now because I'm running a script, but I can answer
> your questions:
>
> 1) describe of the relation passed to store returns the generated schema
> name for the tuple, as described in: http://bb10.com/java-hadoop-**
> pig-devel/2011-07/msg00237.**html<http://bb10.com/java-hadoop-pig-devel/2011-07/msg00237.html>
When you do TO_TUPLE try being explicit with the schema with an AS
statement.

> 2) I want to store all the values as a tuple under one key because I want
> to minimize the repetitions of the row and column keys. I didn't specify
> the caster, so I'm using the default whatever it is (I hope it is the
> binary one not the UTF8 one)

Default caster is UTF8, which is what you want.

> 3) The class cast exception says that DataByteArray cannot be cast to Tuple

This is a result of something in your relations before the STORE, not
HBaseStorage. It takes what's given to it, so if it's seeing
DataByteArrays, something is producing them, possible a UDF.

> Regards!
>
> -- Younos
>
> Quoting Bill Graham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>  Thanks Younos for catching that and sorry that you got bit by it. That is
>> in fact a javadoc bug. I've just opened a JIRA for it:
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/**jira/browse/PIG-3092<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-3092>
>> http://pig.apache.org/docs/r0.**10.0/basic.html#store<http://pig.apache.org/docs/r0.10.0/basic.html#store>
>>
>> Regarding the casting, what does describe look like of the relation you
>> pass to the STORE statement and what do you class cast exceptions look
>> like? Which caster are you using?
>>
>> The relation you pass to STORE should be a flat relation of values, unless
>> you want to store the toString of a tuple as a single column in HBase.
>>

>> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 9:37 AM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>  Hi Bill,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your reply. Since this is the case then JavaDocs of the class
>>> needs to be fixed (see http://pig.apache.org/docs/r0.****<http://pig.apache.org/docs/r0.**>
>>> 10.0/api/org/apache/pig/****backend/hadoop/hbase/****HBaseStorage.html<
>>> http://pig.**apache.org/docs/r0.10.0/api/**
>>> org/apache/pig/backend/hadoop/**hbase/HBaseStorage.html<http://pig.apache.org/docs/r0.10.0/api/org/apache/pig/backend/hadoop/hbase/HBaseStorage.html>
>>> >

>>> ).
>>>
>>> Also, I faced a bug that I worked around by explicit casting. For some
>>> reason all the objects passed to putNext are of type DataByteArray, while
>>> the schema reports their correct types (tuple(string, int, int), long).
>>> This causes a lot of ClassCastExceptions because DataByteArray cannot be
>>> cast to any other type. I worked around this by passing everything to the
>>> STORE as a DataByteArray.
>>>
>>> Cheers!
>>> Younos
>>>
>>> Quoting Bill Graham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>>
>>>  The STORE command doesn't take the AS clause, that's to define the
>>> schema

[EMAIL PROTECTED] going forward.*