HBase >> mail # dev >> testing, powermock, jmockit - from pow-wow

Re: testing, powermock, jmockit - from pow-wow
Using Powermock for its reflection library sounds great. I'd refrain from using its classloader, that is just asking for trouble.

> To get the low-level access we could instead use jmockit at the cost of dealing with code-weaving.

As we had discussed, this scares me :).
I do not want to have to debug some test code that was weaved (i.e. has no matching source code lying around *anywhere*).

Generally I think code should be designed to be unittestable. Each (set of) class(es) should be able to stand alone, enough to be unittested, then only a few bigger bigger functional tests are needed to test things end-to-end... I know that's pipe-dream. I'm also asking for every committer to be given a pony, btw.
Mocking is the next best option.

Thanks for taking this on!

-- Lars