HDFS, mail # user - Re: Who splits the file into blocks

+
Jens Scheidtmann 2013-03-31, 16:30
Re: Who splits the file into blocks
Rahul Bhattacharjee 2013-03-31, 16:46
I think what Sai was asking is when client asks namenode to give it a list
of data nodes then how does the namenode knows as how many blocks would be
required to store the entire file.

I think the way it works is client requests the NN for list of blocks and
then the client writes the first block in the nodes what the NN has
specified and then it again requests the NN for another set of blocks and
so on.Client would know when the EOF is reached.

Jens has mentioned the way NN decides where to allocate the block.I mean in
which DN's the blocks are to be written.

Thanks,
Rahul