Hadoop >> mail # general >> [DISCUSS] Apache Hadoop 1.0?

+
Arun C Murthy 2011-11-14, 22:11
+
Doug Cutting 2011-11-14, 22:41
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2011-11-14, 22:47
+
Todd Papaioannou 2011-11-14, 22:47
+
Milind.Bhandarkar@... 2011-11-14, 22:44
+
Mattmann, Chris A 2011-11-14, 22:46
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2011-11-14, 23:01
+
Sharad Agarwal 2011-11-15, 05:37
+
Mahadev Konar 2011-11-15, 06:23
+
Owen OMalley 2011-11-15, 05:47
+
Andreas Neumann 2011-11-15, 05:56
+
Owen OMalley 2011-11-15, 06:20
+
Dhruba Borthakur 2011-11-15, 06:07
+
Steve Loughran 2011-11-15, 09:57
+
Todd Lipcon 2011-11-15, 21:43
+
Owen OMalley 2011-11-15, 22:17
+
Ted Dunning 2011-11-15, 22:25
+
Arun C Murthy 2011-11-15, 22:32
+
Luke Lu 2011-11-15, 22:40
+
Doug Cutting 2011-11-16, 01:37
+
Ahmed Radwan 2011-11-16, 01:41
+
Eli Collins 2011-11-16, 01:49
+
Doug Cutting 2011-11-16, 01:56
+
Eli Collins 2011-11-16, 02:03
+
Arun Murthy 2011-11-16, 04:20
+
Matt Foley 2011-11-16, 02:42
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2011-11-16, 02:47
+
Joe Stein 2011-11-16, 03:35
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2011-11-16, 07:26
+
Konstantin Shvachko 2011-11-16, 15:46
+
Scott Carey 2011-11-16, 07:06
+
Arun Murthy 2011-11-16, 04:14
+
Eli Collins 2011-11-16, 04:51
+
Joe Stein 2011-11-16, 05:37
+
Arun Murthy 2011-11-16, 05:53
+
Eli Collins 2011-11-16, 06:13
+
Arun Murthy 2011-11-16, 07:05
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2011-11-16, 02:06
+
Doug Cutting 2011-11-16, 17:15
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2011-11-16, 17:24
+
Scott Carey 2011-11-16, 18:15
+
Doug Cutting 2011-11-16, 19:57
+
Matt Foley 2011-11-16, 21:11
+
Owen OMalley 2011-11-16, 21:37
+
Joe Stein 2011-11-16, 21:53
+
Roman Shaposhnik 2011-11-16, 23:05
+
Andrew Purtell 2011-11-16, 23:40
+
Arun C Murthy 2011-11-17, 00:03
+
Eric Yang 2011-11-17, 00:05
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2011-11-17, 05:54
+
Arun C Murthy 2011-11-16, 22:43
Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Hadoop 1.0?
On 11/16/2011 02:43 PM, Arun C Murthy wrote:
> I propose we adopt the convention that a new major version should be a superset of the previous major version, features-wise.

That means that we could never discard a feature, no?

One definition is that a major release includes some fundamental
changes, e.g., new primary APIs or a re-implementation of primary
components.  MR2 probably qualifies as both.  With a large system with
many APIs and components this becomes a rather subjective measure, but I
don't see an easy way around that.

Another definition is that a major release permits incompatible changes,
either in APIs, wire-formats, on-disk formats, etc.  This is more
objective measure.  For example, one might in release X+1 deprecate
features of release X but still remain compatible with them, while in
X+2 we'd remove them.  So every major release would make incompatible
changes, but only of things that had been deprecated two releases ago.
Often the reason for the incompatible changes is new primary APIs or
re-implementation of primary components, but those more subjective
measures would not be the justification for the major version, rather
any incompatible changes would.

Of course, we should work hard to never make incompatible changes...

Doug
+
Arun C Murthy 2011-11-16, 23:05
+