Drill >> mail # dev >> branding and technical trivial items

+
Ted Dunning 2012-10-15, 22:36
+
Julian Hyde 2012-10-15, 22:50
+
Ted Dunning 2012-10-15, 23:13
Re: branding and technical trivial items

> Tomer seems to have created or had created a drill logo for the bay area
> users' group.  See
> http://www.meetup.com/Bay-Area-Apache-Drill-User-Group/in the upper
> left.
>
> What is the sense of the group about whether this or something like it
> should be our logo?  I don't really want to have a month-long discussion of
> a logo, but we should have one eventually and deciding early is probably
> easier than later.
>
> Associated with that, is there a bright spark who feels that they could do
> lots better?  If so, have at it and let's discuss the options.

Good enough for now, hence +1 …

I've adopted it at:

* G+ page https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/106081196028708015488/
* http://drill-user.org/

Note: Tomer, when you get around, please provide us with a high-res version via the repo - this one I'm currently using is really utterly shitty, resolution-wise ;)

Cheers,
  Michael

--
Michael Hausenblas
Ireland, Europe

On 15 Oct 2012, at 23:36, Ted Dunning wrote:

> Three questions here, none of which have to do with technical substance.
>
> ----- Branding -----
>
> Tomer seems to have created or had created a drill logo for the bay area
> users' group.  See
> http://www.meetup.com/Bay-Area-Apache-Drill-User-Group/in the upper
> left.
>
> What is the sense of the group about whether this or something like it
> should be our logo?  I don't really want to have a month-long discussion of
> a logo, but we should have one eventually and deciding early is probably
> easier than later.
>
> Associated with that, is there a bright spark who feels that they could do
> lots better?  If so, have at it and let's discuss the options.
>

> ----- Technical -----
>
> I have been saying "logical plan" for the (hopefully) universal
> representation that comes out of the parser plus some semantic steps.
> Jason and Julian have indicated that a more standard term would be
> "physical plan".  I am happy to switch the plan doc to standard
> nomenclature.
>
> What say ye all?
>
> Along similar lines, it appears that database articles have DAG's that flow
> upwards.  I have been drawing them downwards simply because that is the
> default in Omnigraffle.  I can invert and draw them going upwards if it is
> the consensus that it matters/is preferable.
>
> What say ye to this?
+
Ted Dunning 2012-10-16, 17:36
+