HBase, mail # dev - Upcoming merge of snapshots branch into trunk. (HBASE-6055 and HABSE-7290)

Re: Upcoming merge of snapshots branch into trunk. (HBASE-6055 and HABSE-7290)
Jonathan Hsieh 2013-01-11, 13:33
Cloudera Hat:  We are customer driven when it comes to features and
this is oft requested.  0.96 is a compatiblity breaking release and we
have some constraints there. Snapshots is mostly an additive feature
so it is technically possible with minor compatibility concerns.

Apache Hat: Keeping features to new versions makes the most sense - it
keeps stable versions stable and encourages folks to move to newer
shinier versions. :).  Ideally, with a healthy Apache project that
releases regularly, the release schedule and feature set of
distributions shouldn't affect the natural release cadence and feature
set of the apache project.

At the moment the best guess for when 0.96 gets released is unknown.
There will be a non-trivial amount of time necessary to harden
snapshots as well as all the other additions to that version.  Its
pretty plain to see that Cloudera and HWX are putting significant
efforts into readying 0.96 as well.

Jon.

--
// Jonathan Hsieh (shay)