Pig >> mail # user >> What is the best way to do counting in pig?

Re: What is the best way to do counting in pig?
Oh, new discovery: we can not set pig.cachedbag.memusage = 0 because every time the InternalCachedBag spills, It creates a new tmp file in java.io.tmpdir. if we set pig.cachedbag.memusage to 0 , every new tuple added into InternalCachedBag will create a new tmp file. And the tmp file is deleted on exit.
So , if you're unlucky like me, you will get a OOM Exception caused by java.io.DeleteOnExitHook!
Here's the evidence:
God, we really need a full description of how every parameter works.

Haitao Yao
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
weibo: @haitao_yao
Skype:  haitao.yao.final

在 2012-7-10,下午4:20, Haitao Yao 写道:

> I found the solution.
>
> After analyzing the heap dump while the reducer OOM, I found out the memory is consumed by org.apache.pig.data.InternalCachedBag , here's the diagram:
> <cc.jpg>
>
> In the source code of org.apache.pig.data.InternalCachedBag, I found out there's a parameter for the cache limit:
>  public InternalCachedBag(int bagCount) {
>         float percent = 0.2F;
>
>     if (PigMapReduce.sJobConfInternal.get() != null) {
> // here, the cache limit is from here!
>     String usage = PigMapReduce.sJobConfInternal.get().get("pig.cachedbag.memusage");
>     if (usage != null) {
>     percent = Float.parseFloat(usage);
>     }
>     }
>
>         init(bagCount, percent);
>     }
>     private void init(int bagCount, float percent) {
>     factory = TupleFactory.getInstance();
>     mContents = new ArrayList<Tuple>();
>
>     long max = Runtime.getRuntime().maxMemory();
>         maxMemUsage = (long)(((float)max * percent) / (float)bagCount);
>         cacheLimit = Integer.MAX_VALUE;
>
>         // set limit to 0, if memusage is 0 or really really small.
>         // then all tuples are put into disk
>         if (maxMemUsage < 1) {
>         cacheLimit = 0;
>         }
>         log.warn("cacheLimit: " + this.cacheLimit);
>         addDone = false;
>     }
>
> so, after write pig.cachedbag.memusage=0 into $PIG_HOME/conf/pig.properties, my job successes!
>
> You can also set to an appropriate value to fully utilize your memory as a cache.
>
> Hope this is useful for others.
> Thanks.
>

> Haitao Yao
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> weibo: @haitao_yao
> Skype:  haitao.yao.final
>
> 在 2012-7-10,下午1:06, Haitao Yao 写道:
>
>> my reducers get 512 MB, -Xms512M -Xmx512M.
>> The reducer does not get OOM when manually invoke spill in my case.
>>
>> Can you explain more about your solution?
>> And can your solution fit into 512MB reducer process?
>> Thanks very much.
>>

>> Haitao Yao
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> weibo: @haitao_yao
>> Skype:  haitao.yao.final
>>
>> 在 2012-7-10,下午12:26, Jonathan Coveney 写�
溃�>>
>>> I have something in the mix that should reduce bag memory :) Question: how
>>> much memory are your reducers getting? In my experience, you'll get OOM's
>>> on spilling if you have allocated less than a gig to the JVM

�>>>>