Hadoop >> mail # dev >> Hadoop for running tests in parallel

Re: Hadoop for running tests in parallel
On 04/12/11 22:01, Sandeep Baldawa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I read few basic things on Hadoop and was interested to know the opinion of
> experts on few things. These questions might be bit vague, feel free to ask
> me questions, if the below is not clear.
>
> - Can Hadoop framework be used for running large number of tests(here we
> are talking about at least a million a day) on machines in different
> clusters in parallel?.
> - Do we have any use case of a large organization using Hadoop for testing
> purpose?, if so can you please point me to the resources.
> - Hadoop looks promising to me from my initial analysis, but I am not so
> sure if it would work in a large heterogeneous platform(different types of
> clusters, machines, configurations etc) where we are testing in a very
> complex environment.
>
> Again I just started looking into Hadoop, just a week back, so sincere
> apologies if my questions appear beginners type for this forum.
>
> Best,
> Sandeep

I have in the past used hadoop to run junit tests: each record in the
map should be the classname of a test (or even better, method); the
aggregation would be collect tests by test id and then show which worked
which didn't, and which were intermittent

The very nature of a well managed hadoop cluster means that every system
should be identical; it's not diverse enough to throw up problems. and
junit tests are pretty short lived.

What would be more useful would be for each record to not only identify
the test, but also the list parameters to supply to it; these parameters
could be machine-generated to give better coverage of the n-dimensional
configuration space without having to explore all points in this space,
which is obviously quite large

At the very least, I should update my exception and test result records,
make them serializable in the new APIs and stick them in the source tree
somewhere, as junit is one way to qualify every node for behaving
roughly the same

-steve

Also: search for papers on "gridunit"