MapReduce, mail # user - What is the difference between Rack-local map tasks and Data-local map tasks?

+
centerqi hu 2012-10-07, 13:56
+
Michael Segel 2012-10-07, 14:45
+
centerqi hu 2012-10-07, 15:28
Re: What is the difference between Rack-local map tasks and Data-local map tasks?
Bertrand Dechoux 2012-10-07, 19:31
Basically, more replicas.

The second solution would be to use a 'smarter' scheduler. In theory, the
jobtracker should be able to say "postpone this task until a data-local
task can be created". But I don't think any stable and public available
scheduler do that at the moment. This would allow you to have less traffic
but the whole job might be slower due to the wait. It might be a good trade
if you have multiple jobs running at the same time and if your hot data is
uniformly distributed. But in practice this is of course not always the
case and you also need to consider sla for the users so the whole is not
trivial.

Regards

Bertrand

--