MapReduce, mail # user - Re: Hardware Selection for Hadoop

+
Marcos Luis Ortiz Valmase... 2013-04-29, 16:35
+
Mohammad Tariq 2013-04-29, 21:16
+
Rahul Bhattacharjee 2013-05-05, 16:41
+
Rahul Bhattacharjee 2013-05-06, 03:41
+
Rahul Bhattacharjee 2013-05-06, 04:08
Re: Hardware Selection for Hadoop
Michel Segel 2013-05-06, 11:17
8 physical cores is so 2009 - 2010 :-)

Intel now offers a chip w 10 physical cores on a die.
You are better off thinking of 4-8 GB per physical core.
It depends on what you want to do, and what you think you may want to do...

It also depends on the price points of the hardware. Memory, drives, CPUs (price by clock speeds...) you just need to find the right optimum between price and performance...

Mike Segel

On May 5, 2013, at 1:47 PM, Ted Dunning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Data nodes normally are also task nodes.  With 8 physical cores it isn't that unreasonable to have 64GB whereas 24GB really is going to pinch.
>
> Achieving highest performance requires that you match the capabilities of your nodes including CPU, memory, disk and networking.  The standard wisdom is 4-6GB of RAM per core, at least a spindle per core and 1/2 to 2/3 of disk bandwidth available as network bandwidth.
>
> If you look at the different configurations mentioned in this thread, you will see different limitations.
>
> For instance:
>
>> 2 x Quad cores Intel
>> 2-3 TB x 6 SATA         <==== 6 disk < desired 8 or more
>> 64GB mem                <==== slightly larger than necessary
>> 2 1GBe NICs teaming     <==== 2 x 100 MB << 400MB = 2/3 x 6 x 100MB
>
> This configuration is mostly limited by networking bandwidth
>
>> 2 x Quad cores Intel
>> 2-3 TB x 6 SATA         <==== 6 disk < desired 8 or more
>> 24GB mem                <==== 24GB << 8 x 6GB
>> 2 10GBe NICs teaming    <==== 2 x 1000 MB > 400MB = 2/3 x 6 x 100MB
>
> This configuration is weak on disk relative to CPU and very weak on disk relative to network speed.  The worst problem, however, is likely to be small memory.  This will likely require us to decrease the number of slots by half or more making it impossible to even use the 6 disks that we have and making the network even more outrageously over-provisioned.
>

> On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 9:41 AM, Rahul Bhattacharjee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> IMHO ,64 G looks bit high for DN. 24 should be good enough for DN.
>>

>> On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 12:19 AM, Patai Sangbutsarakum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> 2 x Quad cores Intel
>>> 2-3 TB x 6 SATA
>>> 64GB mem
>>> 2 NICs teaming